Sally in The MIX

Monday, January 26, 2015

Searching for Spring, and Other Things

Now that the end of January is in sight, (Yay!), I have become Spring obsessed. Spring. Where is it? Oops. Any way you look at it, Spring is still two months away. Never mind. Spring is close (well, not really), but I don’t care. I have begun haunting the newly-stocked garden shop at Walmart, which has not gone unnoticed by those who work there. They even directed me to all the new flower bulbs they have for sale. Yes. I confess. I bought some. You are supposed to plant flower bulbs in the fall I found out, and I did, thanks to a friend who decided to clean out her flower beds and leave me with 30 iris bulbs. They are all in the ground and I’ve begun checking to see if they feel the need to grow yet. Nope. Not yet. But hey, I found some seed-starting mix on sale, and bought all I could carry. Never started seeds indoors before, but I’m so ready for spring, I’ll be filling my little pots this very weekend, and setting up a by-the-window seed starting platform.

So obsessed, I went to the internet to find out if I was the only one. It seemed so, since I appeared to be the only one hanging out in Walmart’s garden center. The internet disappointed me. Most bloggers were more concerned about spring fashions and spring makeup. Yep, they are all obsessed with spring too, just not in the same general area.

Such as “pink cowboy boots?” Uh, I’ve got several pair of cowboy boots since my horse and I had to chase cows when I was a girl, but I can guarantee none of my boots are pink. Moving on, found other women really excited about spring shopping for new clothes and makeup. Uh, not interested much in $50 nail polish or $100 face cream. And my old clothes are fine, thanks.

Then I came upon the Fort Collins (Colo.) Nursery. Yep. When on internet I am terribly distracted by anything that promises seeds, annuals, perennials, veggies, etc. And this nursery knows what it’s like to be Spring obsessed, or perhaps more accurately, garden obsessed. They even have a quiz to determine if you are garden obsessed. This quiz offers questions such as:

Do you grow plants in anything that holds soil? My answer: That doesn’t include coffee cans of all sizes, empty ice cream cartons, soup and nut cans does it? It does? Well, yes.

Do you automatically dead-head plants when walking through you garden? Well, yeah.

Do you refuse to leave town during the blooming season? Uh, heck, I won’t even leave my tiny garden!

Do you carry photos of your flower and vegetable garden? Oh dear. I confess I have photos of the garden, but not of my great-grandson. That will have to be fixed.

Do you refuse to kill ladybugs? Or worse, do you bring the ladybugs inside for winter? Oh my. I love ladybugs. Yes and yes.

Have you given up cooking for gardening? Really? Who has time to cook?

Yes. I passed the test. I am an obsessed gardener. The only fault I found with the Fort Collins Nursery is it’s in Colorado, and it doesn’t seem that I can buy on line. And they have a 50-percent off section!

So on I scrolled, searching out anything and everything needed to get Spring blooming a little sooner than later. That’s when I came upon Better Homes & Gardens website, again. Hey. It’s great for gardeners. And it’s the reason I’m about two hours late with this bit of Spring foolery too. On the BH&G website you can plan your garden, learn how to plant a garden, and even buy the garden necessities. And I did. I’m obsessed.

But, there is a saving grace to this, which is featured on the Fort Collins Nursery website, and which I may have written on a stone that I will put in my garden, which I fell in love with because I am now semi-retired. The lesson learned is:


“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”

-Henry Ford
‘Nough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment