Sally in The MIX

Friday, February 6, 2015

It's a Whole New World - Out Loud

The transition from print media to radio media can be traumatic, well, at least to me. Was a print media gal for a whole lot of years before getting on the air waves. I actually considered radio way back there in college cause the professor was so charismatic, positive and enthusiastic. But stuck with what I knew best, writing it out. Never dreamed then that I’d be introduced to radio media in my later years. And it should not surprise me that I enjoy it immensely, especially getting that news out there right now! There is another aspect I didn’t know about. The popularity and enthusiasm of the listeners themselves, and the extent to which those air waves go. Good grief. What do you mean that people in every state are listening to KXMX 105.1 FM and reading KXMX news. Did I just say states? Oh good grief, try the world. Yep, around the globe. What I thought was going to be your friendly, neighborhood, county radio station has gone international. Not sure how they (someone, somewhere) counts all this stuff, but here’s the news:  KXMX has a regular audience of over 41,000; has listeners in every state in the Union; plus listeners in 92 other countries (are you kidding me?); is very popular in China (what?); and over a half million viewers have visited the KXMX web site (that almost made me faint).

Fascinating.

And one of the best parts? All those listeners in other countries like to tell us about it. This was a new bit of news to me. In the international community, radio aficionados like to collect stations. And apparently we’re very collectible. Owner Darren Girdner has letters from all over the world, which amazes us. Not only are they hearing KYHN and KXMX, they write to let us know they are listening. Most correspond in English, thank goodness. And most tickle our fancies. Here are a few comments from the KYHN and KXMX international community.

-Michael Haun of Germany heard us while traveling in Spain. He wrote he is 63, and started listening to distant radio stations in 1968. He also likes astronomy, volley ball, soccer and traveling. He wished us “Kind greetings from Germany.” Me: Thank you.

-Stefan Gustavsson sent greetings from Sweden. He likes soccer and badmintone, and his favorites are radio stations from Central and North America. Me: Thank you, and do you mean badminton?

-Torgeir Nyen writes from Norway that his reception was the first time he had ever heard a radio station from Arkansas or Oklahoma. “I wish you good luck with both KYHN and KXMX.” Me:  Thank you.
-Jarmo and Vesa live in Finland, and heard us in Lapland. They write, “Wishing you and your staff all the best. We would be also interested to learn more about your station and programs.” Me:  I know a Mia from Finland. She’s great! Come for a visit.

-And finally, from the Ukraine, we heard from Stanislav Barabash just this week. He made us laugh out loud. He wrote, exactly, as follows: “Allow me to thank you from itself and the colleagues, all staff of your radio station, for excellent operation. Working as the most part of day at the computer, I listen to your radio station. Your radio station helps me ordinary office manager, configured to work, and little to distract from the task of his boss. But in our country not possible to see small gifts with a logo of your radio, pens, sticker, a t-shirt. . .all that remind me of your radio. I am writing to request you to send me if you have such a product with your logo, if it does not entail significant costs for your radio. It would be remarkable. Signed, Your Fan. Me:  You are remarkable my friend. We enjoyed hearing from you, even though I didn’t quite understand it all. Knowing our boss, you can expect to receive a box full of gifts with the logos KYHN and KXMX.

Am I intimidated? You bet I am. A national and international audience is humbling, and we are grateful for the interest. This is a whole new world to me, and has convinced me that I need to keep writing for the air waves, to write it out loud for others to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment