Sally in The MIX

Friday, June 19, 2015

Go Away Rain!

Good grief. Enough rain. The only good news I heard Thursday was young men announcing they didn’t have to mow the family lawn. However, they did comment that they will have to borrow more money from the parents. Oops.

And I won’t be mowing my lawn either. I could ask son to bring his boat over and we’ll see if the motor blade will mow under water, cause that’s the only way my grass is gonna get cut. The whole yard is under water.

The family went on vacation to Myrtle Beach, as those who visit here may remember. That’s where we ran into tropical storm Anna. Or rather she ran into us. She limited our time on the beach. We were a little grumpy about that. Now tropical storm Bill has come to call. Excuse me? I live in Oklahoma! I’m not supposed to deal with tropical storms. Go away Bill. I like a pretty yard, with a clipped lawn and colorful flowers. What I have right now is a lake, with drowned dead flowers, and mud. And I know what to expect next. It’s the weeds! The weeds will go into a frenzy as soon as the sun comes out but the lawn doesn’t dry out. Those weed dudes will be knee high before I can get the lawn mower started.

A large number of other topics were on my mind to write about lately. But the rain got in the way. I wanted to write about “Take Your Dog to Work Day on June 26. Sorry. My dog is too wet to bring to work. Any most everyone knows how a wet dog smells. Oh UGH! Good thing there’s not a “Take Your Cat to Work Day.” Cats hate rain, and, as some may recall, the last time I took my cat out, it took three vet techs just to give him a flea pill, after he ate the flea pill delivery device.

Then a new bird showed up at my bird feeder this week. That bird would have made a good tale, but the birds seem to be hiding out lately, and not even trying to visit for a quick lunch.Then there’s the bees, and the fact that there are no bees visiting flowers and vegetables. That sort of limits production. I have a friend who has set out beehives so her garden will grow. That’s awesome. But I’m not gonna go get my camera and I wet trying to take photos of bees in a downpour. The bees are more than likely smarter than me and still in the hive.

And there are other things I’d like to do, like plant new flowers to replace the dead drowned ones. So I happened upon a sale, bought bunches and bunches, and my tiny little garden is under water again. Stop it! I want flowers. Maybe I should plant rice?

And KXMX has two new interns to be introduced – Josh Hawkins and Brayson Laney – who are delightful young men, but I’m too wet, mildewed and fed up to write a nice blog about anything.
So tonight I’m going home, laying down on the couch for a nap, or maybe finding a heat lamp to turn on so I can dry out. Or help friends build that arc they are talking about. Or grow gills. Or plan my move to the desert. Or sing that nursery rhyme, “Rain, rain, go away. . . .” Everybody! Sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment