Sally in The MIX

Friday, July 17, 2015

Can’t Wait to Get Into Space and the Final Frontier

Really good news this week. The new Star Wars movie is nearly with us, and the new Star trek movie is in production. Yay. Yes. I’m a fan of both. Long time. 

Like from the beginning. . .1966 for Star Trek and 1977 for Star Wars.
Just this week I found out the new Star Wars movie “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” will be out on Dec. 18. “Star Trek Beyond” has begun production and is scheduled to be in theaters on July 8, 2016. I can hardly wait.

I confess. I’m a Trekkie. Way back when, I and my science-fiction-loving hubby would put the kids to bed early so we could devote the rest of the evening to Capt. James T. Kirk and the Enterprise. (As a Trekkie, I know what the T. stands for but I’m not telling!)

Through the years I watched every re-run of those old Star Trek television shows, even though I’ve seen them 10 or more times, and I have been to every movie. Was also a fan of those Star Trek spinoffs on TV, especially “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.”

But nothing over the years could compare to the original Star Trek and our Capt. Kirk.

That is until 2009’s “Star Trek.” Whoa. What’s this I wondered? I’m not a movie goer, and I don’t hang out on the internet looking up actors or movies. So I was happy to know a new “Star Trek” was with us, although I didn’t hold out much hope that I would be star struck.

I was wrong. Actor Chris Pine as the young James T. (I’m not telling!) Kirk is fabulous. And hey, Mr. Pine isn’t bad to look at either. Don’t be surprised. Even great-grandmas get to enjoy the scenery. Zachary Quinto completes the duo as the young Mr. Spock. Wow. It could barely be any better. I was shocked.

Then along came “Star Trek Into Darkness” and it did get better. Another one of my new favorite male actors, Benedict Cumberbatch, portrayed the infamous Khan. (You gotta be a Trekkie to know about Khan.) It got better in “Into Darkness.” In fact, when I just can’t take any more TV, I watch “Star Trek Into Darkness” again, and again, and again. Obviously, I love action-adventure movies. And this movie has the best heroes and best bad guys ever!

(One little side note:  PBS has announced that the increasingly popular Mr. Cumberbatch is coming back as my most recent favorite TV hero, “Sherlock.” Yay! That’s where I first found him, and PBS has the best TV on TV.)

And that’s why I can hardly wait till next summer, when, on a hot summer day, I hope to run into a cold movie theater and take a thrilling vacation on the Starship Enterprise. I may try to get there sooner. Just this week it was announced there is a Star Trek contest. The winner gets to visit the Star Trek set (oh my), meet the actors (excuse me while I faint if Chris Pine comes anywhere near me), and gets a walk-on part in the new Star Trek movie (well, I might make a good grandma alien.)

So I will now pin on my Starfleet communicator badge (I actually have two) and practice the Vulcan salute, and in the meantime, I hope you all “Live long and prosper,” just like Star Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment