Sally in The MIX

Friday, October 16, 2015

The Squirrely Squirrel in My Back Yard

Does Halloween cause critters to behave badly? Or, perhaps more correctly – to behave weirdly?

I, and almost everyone else we suppose who hangs up a bird feeder, has an ongoing war with squirrels. I have been battling squirrels who like to feloniously snitch the feed from my bird feeders. Not only do they snatch the food, they also destroy the feeders. Two have hit the ground so far. Those dang squirrels ate through the cords by which my best feeder hung, causing it to crash and spill seeds everywhere. Those toothsome little devils gnawed right through the plastic of the second feeder.

In an effort to protect my birds, who used to flock to my feeders, I tried a tactic found in a bird magazine. They advised I feed the squirrels elsewhere. The magazine suggested some corn on the cob be hung from bungee cords no less, from a different tree. The author suggested a delightful display of squirrels trying to climb down a bungee cord to get to the corn would result in endless hours of entertainment.

Maybe that author’s squirrels are dumb, but my country squirrels are not. They have not yet tried to crawl down that bungee cord. And they still go after the easier bird feed.

So, I now feed my birds only when I’m home so I can protect their food.
And that’s when I spotted the squirrely squirrel.

The Urban Dictionary defines squirrely as mild insane, unpredictable and jumpy, and nutty, as resembling a squirrel looking for nuts.

All of which applied to this particular squirrel. This squirrel was jumping up and down in my back yard. Way up and down. Like on a trampoline up and down. It looked like it could have been hanging from a bungee cord, bouncing up and down. Except, it was on its own feet, and hopping up and down as fast as it could, on the ground.

There was not bird feeder nearby. There was no corn cobs hanging over its head. There was nothing, like a dog or cat, seeking it skinny little body for lunch. This squirrel was simply in my back yard jumping up and down like crazy. Mildly insane? Possibly yes. Unpredictable and jumpy? Absolutely! Looking for nuts? There wasn’t a nut in sight.

I decided this was simply a squirrely squirrel. Maybe it was enjoying our glorious fall season. Maybe it was practicing how to reach those corn cobs. Or my bird feeders. Maybe it was planning some strange Halloween party. Or maybe it was just happy to be alive. I’d like to think that.

The squirrely squirrel hasn’t been seen since. And my bird feeders are still hanging in their original spaces and still feeding the lovely birds.

But I am worried now about my squirrely squirrel. I hope it has recovered, if need be, from whatever was bothering it. Or, if it was simply happy, and jumping up and down with the pure joy of being alive, go for it squirrel. I might come out in the back yard and join you.

No comments:

Post a Comment