Sally in The MIX

Friday, September 25, 2015

Berra’s Baseball Philosophy, or How to Twist the Language

The world mourns the loss of Lawrence Peter ‘Yogi’ Berra this week.
I
’m not a big baseball fan, except of course when it came to my own sons playing Little League many years ago. Still I have fond memories of major league baseball. I remember my Dad and uncle sitting on the back porch in the summer, drinking beer, and listening to the Cincinnati Reds on the radio. It was a summer tradition. That’s when I heard the Yogi Berra name first, while Dad listened or watched his beloved baseball teams.

But it wasn’t the New York Yankees catcher Berra that got my attention. It was the hilarious twister of the English language Berra that still makes me laugh out loud.

We have all heard Berra’s “It ain’t over till it’s over.” But there are many more Berra quotes, many of which are even funnier.

An internet search reveals even better Berra quotes. Read on and laugh out loud. I did.

“You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours.”
 
“The future ain't what it used to be.”
 
“He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”

“I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”

“I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won 25 games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.”

“I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.”

“Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.”
 
“If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.”
  
“You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.”
 
“Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.”
 
“Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.”

“You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there.”
 
“A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.”
 
“There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em.”
 
“You can observe a lot by watching.”
 
“You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.”
 
“Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.”
 
“A lot of guys go, 'Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.' I tell 'em, 'I don't know any.' They want me to make one up. I don't make 'em up. I don't even know when I say it. They're the truth. And it is the truth. I don't know.”
 
“I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question.”
 
As a user of the English language, it must be Berra’s English language twist that tickles me so much. And read carefully, and sometimes contemplate upon Berra’s quotes, because they often reveal a more profound philosophy and understanding than appears at first glance.

No comments:

Post a Comment