Sally in The MIX

Friday, September 4, 2015

It’s the Last Summer Holiday

It’s Labor Day, which means a day off, which really doesn't mean a lot to those of us who are retired. What it means to me is “Stay home! People are off work and driving like crazy on the unofficial last day of summer!”

To get others’ opinions on Labor Day, our last summer holiday, I scoured the internet and came up with the following. Enjoy!

Famous Quotes about Work:

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” Edgar Bergen

“Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work.” Robert Orben

“Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, ‘Certainly, I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it.”  Theodore Roosevelt

“One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.”  Bertrand Russell

“Going to work for a large company is like getting on a train. Are you going sixty miles an hour or is the train going sixty miles an hour and you're just sitting still?”  J. Paul Getty

“Labor Day, when we briefly pause from demonizing unions to enjoy mattress sales in their honor.” Anonymous

“A bad day at work is better than a good day in hell.” Scott Johnson

“I help by staying out of the way while other people work.” Lyle ‘Danny’ Hintz Jr.

“If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it all to themselves.” Lane Kirkland

“I wonder if the clothes in China say, ‘Made around the corner.” Anonymous

Then there are the others we must pay, as follows:
Roland, a businessman, is on his deathbed so he calls his friend and says, “Eli, I want you to promise me that when I die you will have my remains cremated.”

“And what,” Eli asks, “do you want me to do with your ashes?”
Roland replies, “Just put them in an envelope and mail them to the Internal Revenue Service and write on the envelope, 'Now you have everything.'”

Or as follows:
A Government Department claimed an old rancher was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to interview him.

“I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them,” demanded the agent.

“Well,' replied the old man, “There's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 a week plus free room and board. Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90 percent of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night.”

“That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit,” says the agent.

“That would be me,” replied the old rancher.

And finally let’s not forget, grandchildren, that the next holiday up is GRANDPARENTS’ DAY next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment