Sally in The MIX

Friday, September 18, 2015

Hello Fall. Welcome Back.

Hello Fall, or Autumn if you prefer. So glad to welcome you back.

According to the Farmer’s Almanac, Fall or Autumn 2015 begins at 3:21 a.m. on Sept. 23. I want to be awake to welcome the season. Darling Daughter and I discussed it just last week and decided we love Fall. It is our favorite season. Winter is too cold. Summer is too hot. Spring is too wet. And fall is just right.

Fall brings back a lot of I-want-to's. Like, I want to wear tall boots again, and put away the flip flops.

I want to light candles, and not fear raising the temperature in the house to 
over 100 degrees.

I want to snuggle up in one of the many sweaters I own.

I want to drink hot cider, and hot cocoa, and hot anything.

I want to eat hot chili, both temperature and spicy wise.

I want to build bonfires, and gather the grandchildren around the fire and tell them the ghost stories my mom told me.

I want to burn a hot dog till its black over that bonfire and eat it slathered in mustard.

I want to add a crispy marshmallow as dessert.

I want to watch football, lots and lots of football.

I want to play a game of badminton in the back yard and not sweat.

I want to take a long trail ride on a horse I trust.

I want to crochet an afghan and not get too hot because it must lay on my lap.

I want to go for long walks in the woods and not worry about stepping on a rattlesnake or being bitten by a tick.

I want to sit on the back porch and watch Canadian geese fly by on the way to the wildlife refuge or further south.

I want to know what my great-grandkids are going to wear for Halloween. And I want photos.

I want to be amazed as the leaves on my oaks and maples turn gorgeous colors.

And those are a few of the reasons I like fall.

Fall’s colors are an event that everyone enjoys. So I searched for why. It’s hard to believe what I found. Ha. Ha. Read on, and laugh out loud.

Found on the internet:

Manager of restaurant in New England answers phone and has the following conversation:

Manager:  How may I help you?”

Caller: “Yes, are you outside?”

Me: “No, ma’am, I’m in an office. Is there anything I can do for you?”

Caller: “Well, do you know when the leaves change out there?”

Me: “Yes, they’re changing now. They’re very beautiful.”

Caller: “What?! We missed it!”

Me: “No, ma’am, the leaves aren’t done changing.”

Caller: “Well, we live in New York and won’t be able to make it there today. What day do they change back?”

Me: “Um…they don’t change back. They fall, like the season.”

Caller: “Well, when do you put them back on the tree?”

Me: “Er…’Put The Leaves Back On The Trees’ day?”

Caller: “Oh, thank you!”

That story is allegedly true. Apparently some city folks don’t exactly understand how Fall works. I’m so glad I do. Welcome back Fall. We missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment